06/02/2011

Lesson from Cairo

The recent trip to egypt was inspiring, thrilling and invaluable to say the least. Seeing the ancient part of the country was something I've been wanting to do for years. The temples and the pyramids were breath taking. Our ancestors' intelligence and craftsmanship make me feel like selection of the fitness has failed us.
But the most inspiring part of the trip was the somewhat lucky and safe stumble into Cairo amidst the mass protest.
I think I almost missed the chance to do a journalistic piece of work- my first in such a situation. It made me love journalism more, and see what journalism outside of this city can offer.
My lovely arab-american friend/colleague whom I ran into at the airport warned me of the protests. And he was so encouraging about my piece.
I don't think I am experienced enough right now to know exactly what to find out from that kind of situation, but being there writing a more or less descriptive piece while reading and watching just about anything I could get my hands on did start to give me some ideas.
The one uncle who has been rather critical of me said that if this is what I want to do, look outside of hk. He is right, and I already know.
I don't think I can live a settled, braindrain corporate life here.

No comments:

Post a Comment