24/10/2010

HK suffocates me. The collectivist culture. Money and status. Feeling controlled, in disguise of concern.
I remember why I left one place after the other, for different reasons. Now I see another reason to leave, but it doesn't do my career any good if I just pick up and go. In a perfect world, I would be somewhere I want to be, and doing something I want to do.

This maladjustment is ridiculous, but it has been so real for the past year. At times, when I have something going for me, it didn't feel so bad. But most of the times, even pursuing something that I am interested in is such a drag.
What is more ridiculous is the issue of parental control, or concern, or hope. I'm way too old to be rebelling, but the moment I moved back under their roof, there is the pressure of having to please them. I refuse to budge and it gets on my nerves when they ask me what I'm doing and where I am. I like living alone and I don't like to have to report to anyone about my whereabouts. Yes they want the best for me, and most of the time they just let it be.

No one seems to understand how this move has been affecting me. People only move back because of their family, or because of the advantage of low taxation or because they are part of the elite, who live very comfortably in this city of extreme wealth gap. None of these concerns me, and I don't know why I am here.

No comments:

Post a Comment