23/08/2010

Manila hostage

Some 10 hours later.7 dead.
I first heard of the hostage situation while I was still in court listening to relatively trivial cases. I didn't share the degree of shock felt by people around me. Hostage situations happen all the time. The fact that the tour group held hostage in manila was from hong kong made no difference to me.
Hours later, I was back in the office. It felt like a newsroom, more than ever. Colleagues gathered around the numerous televisions all showing the situation live. Just about everyone held their breath seeing the bus driver dashed out and screamed "everyone's dead". The anchor on cable tv sobbed while reporters in manila freaked out.
Gun shots,corpses and the bloody ending. What happened to the children on board who were still looking out the window so light heartedly? What happened to a man passing them lunch boxes through the driver's window?
I have never watched a hostage situation unfold,live,as I did today. I guess I never really had the time to watch hours and hours of live news on tv, but now it has become my job.
The fear, the pain,the horror,the trauma. The woman who watched her husband shot and pretended to be dead to stay alive for her kids. But just to find out that two of her kids were dead and one in ICU.god bless.
Finding someone to blame makes the tragedy slightly more tolerable., but dont blame for the sake of it or for a sense of closure. Make it constructive.

RIP

No comments:

Post a Comment