26/05/2011

Memorial of a stranger

At 9:15am, 15 minutes earlier than the usual time the court opens, court no.1 in the High Court building was already packed. At the entrance of the court room, I could see nothing but the backs of a dozen of very tall non-Chinese lawyers in their barristers' gowns or suits.

There they were, paying tribute to Mr Justice Colin Mackintosh. He passed away earlier this month in the United Kingdom from brain cancer. He was 58 years old.

I could hardly make out the words that the speakers were saying. Some 20 minutes later, when the memorial sitting was over, judges left through their special exits while the rest of the crowd came out the public entrance.

I lingered around outside and saw a few tearful women whom I recognise as the court clerks.

Hours later, I got given a copy of a message that was read out loud by Mr Justice Peter Line during the memorial sitting. It was a note that Mr Mackintosh wrote last autumn.

"Thank you from deep in my heart for your contributions to my life, for making my life in Hong Kong the joy it has been. So if any of you have any tears, wipe them away....

I have made so many good and dear friends here in Hong Kong. Some of you in particular have been so special to me that I feel, as I write this note, that it will be a question of me losing you rather than you losing me...What can be a greater tribute than to know that I am a better person for having known each and everyone of you. Please do not weep at my passing: just be thankful for my life.

All I ask of you is that you do not forget me, at least, not so quickly. Remember me in your thoughts and prayers, tell stories about me sometimes and laugh about me; and I ask you to accept my thanks in good heart...

The miracle of life is a circle of birth and death: it always has been and always will be. What we have to do is make the most of the time we are given...

If I have offended any of you either in my judicial capacity or otherwise, then I ask forgiveness. I am not perfect: I know that best of all. Let me tell you though, that upon reaching the pearly gates, if I'm lucky enough to get there, I shall ask for a voire dire before any judgement is made on my life. I will maintain that I was never properly cautioned.

Please go from here in good heart and make the most of life. I do feel I have been snatched from it slightly early, well, earlier than I and my beloved wife Jani had planned. I feel that I had more to do, more to achieve in life; more to do as a judge, as a husband and father, and hopefully as a grandfather, but there we are. The Grim Reaper does not work to order.

I have known for many months that my condition would be a difficult one to bear; that the risks were substantial: a bit like, I can hear the wags say, a bit like the chances of an acquittal before Mackintosh in the District Court.
...

I love you.
Remember me.
Goodbye
Colin

----

R.I.P

No comments:

Post a Comment